While everyone loves to feast on Christmas treats like honey glazed ham, roast turkey, and creamy pavlova, more often than not there is usually a lot of leftover food that you won’t want to waste.
But after you’ve cooked an extravagant Christmas dinner, what do you do with leftovers?
Watch the video player above for amazing Christmas leftover recipes
Watch The Morning Show on Channel 7 and stream it for free on 7plus >>
Emma Bickley is a food photographer and writer who works for Ziggy’s Fresh greengrocer in Canberra, which recently won the Sydney Markets 2021 Greengrocer of the Year award.
She joined The morning show to share some easy ways to enjoy your Christmas leftovers, as well as to show how to make the perfect edible gift to give as a tasty gift.
CUPS OF MANGO, SHRIMP & AVO LETTUCE
- 2 heads of baby cos lettuce
- 500 g shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 1 mango
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- fried shallots
- Coriander for garnish
- Chili or sweet pepper sauce (optional)
Wash the lettuce and separate the leaves.
Arrange the leaves on a plate, selecting only the medium sized leaves. You will need about 12 of them.
Meanwhile, puree the avocado and the juice of 1 lime with a little salt. If it’s too thick, add a few drops of ice water.
Remove the cheeks from the mango and thinly slice.
Place a spoonful of avocado mixture on each lettuce leaf. Garnish with a slice of mango, a shrimp, a few fried shallots and cilantro. Add a little chilli or sweet pepper sauce if desired.
GRILLED NECTARINE WITH CHARCOAL, ROCKET AND HAM Toasts
Preparation 15 min | Cook 10 min | For 6 persons
- 4 plump ripe nectarines
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 350g sliced ham
- 50 g young arugula leaves
- Caramelized balsamic vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon of caramelized balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard or whole
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a screw jar. Shake until well combined. Put aside.
Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Cut the nectarines in half, remove the stones and cut them into quarters. Spray with oil. Grill the nectarines for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate. Spray bread with oil, rub with garlic and toast for 1 to 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
Place the toast on a plank. Garnish with ham, nectarines and arugula. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper then serve.
MEXICAN SALAD OF GRILLED SWEET MAS, AVOCADO AND HAM
Preparation 25 min | Cook 5 min | For 4 people
- 3 ears of sweet corn, husks and silks removed
- olive oil spray
- 200 g grape tomatoes or mini Roma tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 200 g thick-sliced thigh ham without bone, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- Lime wedges, tortillas and low-fat sour cream, for serving
Soak the corn on the cob in cold water for 15 minutes. Heat a grill or barbecue over high heat. Spray corn with oil and charcoal or barbecue, turning often, for 4 to 5 minutes until just charred and tender. Transfer to a board. Reserve in the fridge. Slice the kernels off the cobs and set aside.
Combine corn kernels, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, cilantro, chili and ham in a large bowl. Season with S&P to taste and toss to combine. Peel, halve and slice the avocado lengthwise and drizzle with lime juice. Add the avocado to the salad. Serve with lime wedges, tortillas and sour cream.
EASY LEMON CURD
Preparation 15 min | Cook 5-7 min | Makes 2 cups
- 125 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 3 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons)
Place butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 30 to 60 seconds until melted.
Add the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Microwave on medium power, whisking every minute, for 5 to 7 minutes until a thick, smooth curd forms. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Ways to use lemon cream
Use as a garnish in butterfly cupcakes and pancakes.
Serve on a pavlova or meringue nests with whipped cream.
Use it as a garnish in a lemon meringue pie.
AVOCADO, CHERRY, TURKEY AND LETTUCE ENVELOPES
Preparation 15 min | Gives 2
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons of lemon or lime juice
- 125 g coarsely sliced turkey breast
- 8 cherries, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons of cranberry sauce
- 2 whole wheat wraps
- 2 leaves of iceberg lettuce
Using a fork, coarsely mash the avocado in a small bowl with the lemon or lime juice. Combine turkey, cherries and cranberry sauce in a bowl.
Place the wraps on a board. Top each with a lettuce leaf, then stack the center with the mashed avocado and turkey mixture. Roll up, cut in half and serve.