We have reached Lent, the period of abstinence during which some people fast or give up things like desserts, alcohol or meat. Desserts and booze seem like a bridge too far — but giving up the meat is a snap. It used to be that people resorted to seafood, but in 2022 the fashionable way is to ignore all animals and go vegetarian.
You can tell it’s trendy because everyone’s doing it, even 7-Eleven. When 7-Eleven is on, you know it’s hot.
Here are some practical and unexpected vegetarian alternatives for Lent around Dallas to try instead of meat:
The convenience store chain is offering a new Black Bean Burger, which they say is made with black beans, corn, rice and salty seasonings. The galette is topped with American cheese and served on a sweet brioche bun.
Anjuli Wilkie, hot food category manager at 7-Eleven, says they keep tabs on changing customer preferences, and this was one of them.
“We frequently get requests for more vegetarian options from our loyal customers, and since our hot sandwiches are so popular, adding a Black Bean Burger was the perfect fit,” she says.
The laid-back chain is offering two new vegetarian dishes specially designed for Lent, available until April 18:
- Tuscan grilled cheese features provolone, basil, spinach, roasted tomatoes and pesto aioli on toasted sourdough.
- Avocado + Spinach is a breakfast wrap sandwich with scrambled eggs, avocado, cheddar, and spinach in a tomato-basil tortilla with green chili salsa. Although breakfast in nature, it is available all day.
Around a quarter of their menu entrees are plant-based, and their goal is to increase that to at least 50%. They have introduced a plant-based starter in each category of their menu.
Plant-based options for lunch and dinner include:
- Baja Bowlwith cilantro-lime brown rice, quinoa, black bean and corn salsa, salsa verde, grape tomatoes, fresh avocado, feta and Greek yogurt.
- Mediterranean Bowlwith Cilantro-Lime Brown Rice, Quinoa, Arugula, Grape Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, Cucumbers, Hummus, Lemon Tahini Dressing, Feta, and Greek Yogurt.
- Greek saladwith romaine, grape tomatoes, feta, red onions, kalamata olives, salt and pepper tossed in a Greek vinaigrette with a pepperoncini.
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwichwith Spicy Peppadew Peppers, Feta, Cucumbers, Emerald Green, Tomato, Red Onion and Hummus over Tomato Basil.
Panera also offers a 10 vegetable soup, a tomato soup, a grilled cheese sandwich and a hilarious macaroni and cheese sandwich with cavatelli pasta, fontina and mozzarella cheese and parmesan crisps on thickly sliced white loaf bread grilled. A killer Passion Green Smoothie contains spinach, peach and mango purées, white grape juice and passion fruit juice, mixed with ice.
- impossible burger
- whole grain veggie burger
- Tuscan white bean salad
- original baked potato (ask them to hold the bacon)
The mega-café chain has a new non-dairy beverage: Toasted Oat Milk Vanilla Iced Espresso. It’s a blond espresso, shaken with caramelized vanilla and topped with creamy oat milk, with layers of caramelized vanilla and non-dairy smoothness. It joins the Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso, a blond espresso with brown sugar flavored syrup, cinnamon and oat milk, also non-dairy and a fan favorite.