Tomato soup: Today I am making Indian tomato soup. This tomato soup is a classic served with grilled cheese sandwiches and topped with homemade croutons. This sweet and sour combination gives an extra flavor to this soup. This soup is one of my favorites. I recommend using fresh vine tomatoes for this recipe.
- Coarsely chopped tomatoes 9
- Carrot cut into pieces 1 cup
- Bay leaves 2
- Black peppercorns 10
- Sliced onion 1
- ¼ cup chopped celery stalks
- Chopped garlic 2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Butter 2 tbsp.
- Olive oil 2 tbsp.
- Sugar 1 tbsp.
- Ground black pepper ½ tsp.
- Corn flour 1 tbsp.
- Heavy cream or fresh cream 2 tbsp.
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet, add butter and oil over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the bay leaves and onion and sauté for a minute.
- Add the carrot, pepper, celery and garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt.
- Add water until it covers the tomatoes, put the lid on and wait for it to come to a boil.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Remove the bay leaves and blend the tomatoes.
- In the same skillet, add the tomato puree with the broth over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp. of sugar and ½ tsp. ground black pepper.
- When it boils, remove from heat and strain again.
- Extract as much as you can and discard the rest.
- Use the same saucepan again, pour in the soup and bring to a boil.
- Mix 1 tbsp. corn flour with 2 tbsp. water and add it to the soup and reduce the heat to low.
- Add 2 tbsp. heavy cream or fresh cream.
- Finally, garnish it with some fresh cilantro.
I love croutons in my tomato soup, especially the homemade ones!
How to make croutons:
- Take a few slices of bread, remove the edges and cut them into cubes.
- Put them in the microwave for 2-2½ minutes, and check them every 30 seconds.
This recipe is also available on NewsBreak Video. My video channel is called “Sofia’s Passion for Cooking”. Please follow me on both for more tasty and easy recipes. Thank you!