Saturday, September 18, 2021
MAKE: Corn chowder
Vegetarian corn chowder
As the temperatures get slightly cooler, why not indulge in a corn chowder made from freshly picked sweet corn? This vegetarian version of corn chowder requires fresh corn and plant milk, but can also be made with frozen corn and animal milk (and shhh! My son likes to eat it with crumbled vegetable bacon on top). Enjoy!
For 4 people
- cup of water
- ½ stalk of celery, minced
- ½ small onion, minced
- ¼ sweet pepper, minced
- 1 ½ cup of water
- About 2 cups of fresh corn OR 1 10-ounce package of frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups of unsweetened vegetable milk
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion, celery and bell pepper in ¼ cup of water until vegetables are tender.
- To the sautéed vegetables, add the remaining 1 cup of water, corn, potatoes and smoked paprika. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk milk and flour until blended, then gradually add to soup, stirring constantly. Add the remaining milk to the soup, continuing to stir constantly. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley or thyme if desired. Enjoy!
Nutritional information (calculated using unsweetened soy milk): Serving size: 1/4 of recipe | Servings Per Recipe: 4 | Calories: 167, Total Fat: 2.8g, Saturated Fat: 0.4g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 59.4mg, Carbohydrate: 31g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 8 g